Moving a website can be a scary situation, there are literally hundreds of things that can go wrong. Have no fear, we are going to show you multiple ways to move either a page, a complete site, WordPress and even changing a domain!
The first thing you need to know is what platform you are on. Windows is a nightmare to move anything unless you are a serious Microsoft person. You will probably either need to hire a Microsoft guy or gal, or move to a Linux based hosting platform.
This is what Google has to say, you can take it to the bank!
Planning on moving your site to a new domain? Lots of webmasters find this a scary process. How do you do it without hurting your site’s performance in Google search results?
Apache is a site owners best friend. Combined with PHP and MYSQL there are tons of ways to move content or move entire sites to a new domain. If you are going from one host to another with the same domain, you must first establish a copy of the site at the new host. Static sites are a no brainer, copy all directories to the new host and change the DNS and you are done.
Choosing Your New Hosting Company
A reliable hosting provider is your website’s foundation. A poorly configured server will cause your website to load slowly, which will have a negative impact on traffic. For example, a page that takes five seconds to load is abandoned, on average, by 38% of users – that’s a lot of potential traffic to be missing out on!
Ideally, you want to choose WordPress-optimized hosting, such as WPX – they will even migrate your WordPress site to their servers for free. If you’re looking for a more wallet-friendly option, consider SiteGround or Bluehost. Whichever host you choose, make sure that they:
- Have an excellent server response rate, documented by independent tests
- Offer 24/7 quality Live Chat support
- Handle traffic spikes very well – you want a server that performs optimally whether there are five of 50 active users on your site.
- Have an intuitive admin control panel
- Offer transparent pricing structures and a money-back guarantee
Hopefully, your new host will migrate your website for you. But if they don’t, follow the steps below for a quick and painless transition.
Moving WordPress To A New Host With New Domain
The first thing you have to do is go into cPanel or whatever management the old host has, open PHPMYADMIN to access your database. Choose the database (if unsure look at the config.php file DB Name is the right database) and export. You don’t need to modify any of the default settings just choose where you want to save it on your desktop.
- At the new host install WordPress, feel free to use a quick install,it works great
- Move the WP-Content folder from the old site to the new site via FTP.
- Log into PHPMYADMIN on the new host, choose the database and select all tables, then drop them. MYSQL will cry about it, but drop them suckers!
- Inport the OLD database
- Once the tables are imported click ‘wp-options’
- Click on the ‘Browse’ icon on the left in the top menu
- Find siteurl in the ‘option_name’ column, click the Pencil (Edit) icon and change ‘option_value’ from http://www.OLDdomain.com to http://www.NEWdomain.com where http://www.NEWdomain.com is your site’s new address and http://www.OLDdomain.com is your site’s old address.
- Increment Page number to ‘2’, find home in the ‘option_name’ column and repeat step 9 to change ‘option_value’ from your site’s old address to site’s new address
You will want to log in to your WordPress and verify that the links work. If not, a link checker plugin along with a DB Find and Replace plugin can fix the links.
About IG Webs Huntsville Web Design Company
IG Webs, a Huntsville Alabama Web Design company, began its operation in 2004 to serve small and medium size business owners that do not have nor want in house technical resources. As a business owner or operator, you can rely on IG Webs to be that resource for you so you can focus on growing your business while avoiding the high cost of maintaining a technical staff.
We are dedicated in providing you an affordable solution for establishing and maintaining a powerful Internet presence. IG Webs is a small web design company in Huntsville Alabama that can respond to you quickly. Client care and service is our top priority and we’re small enough to be able to do just that, yet big enough to meet all your demands.
A quick look at our portfolio will show you our uncompromising quality and attention to detail that is noticeable.
Our area of expertise includes the following services:
- Custom Website design
- Website Maintenance
- Search Engine Optimization (SEO)
- Flash Website
- e-Commerce Website
- Content Management (CMS)
- Logo design
- Graphic Design
Contact IG Webs for more information and to discuss your requirements, objectives and goals in detail.We provide hosting or find you a web host that meets your website requirements, and help you secure a domain name. All in all we offer a turnkey operation and make sure its a worry free project for you. Here’s how we go about designing your website.
|FREE QUOTE FORM|