So many people have been asking me how to get a flash header for their WordPress blog site. I hope this post help those and the others who have not asked!
Actually its not that hard to do, not anymore! You’re saying: Oh, how so?
Well thanks to Michael Bester embedding a flash swf file is just so much easier and here’s how you want to do it:
1. Go here to download the Kimili plug in. This is now a WordPress plug in so you could do a search for it from your admin panel.
2. Install the plug in: Just unzip the files in the wp-content > plugin in the local copy of your blog then upload to where you’re hosting your blog.
3. Using your admin panel, activate the Kimili plug in.
4. Then using your host’s c-panel file manager, go to wp-content > themes and find your theme and in that folder you should be able to see a file called header.php or a similar name depending on which theme you are using.
5. Then replace the header code which is something like this:
<div id=”header” role=”banner”>
<h1><a href=”<?php echo get_option(‘home’); ?>/”><?php bloginfo(‘name’); ?></a></h1>
<div><?php bloginfo(‘description’); ?></div>
[kml_flashembed movie=”filename.swf” height=”250″ width=”400″ /]
Now its really important that your flash file has the same dimensions as the header image you maybe replacing. If not you’ll have to modify the CSS that controls your theme’s style to change its dimensions. Its probably best to stay away from that if you’re not familiar with CSS.
Don’t forget to upload your flash file to your blog site!
That should do it. Have fun.